Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Field Visit

Today, we went to two rural villages about 30 minutes outside of Jodhpur with a local organization that works with the mining sector as well as migrant mining populations. These mining communities seem to be where interconnected environmental, social, and economic issues collide in devastating ways. Of course, there are the harmful environmental effects, but you also have rampant HIV/AIDS and TB due to the promiscuous behavior of migrant miners; respiratory diseases from sandstone; child labor; water contamination, the list goes on...





Alcoholism is also an enormous issue in these communities, where there is little for men to do after work except drink away both his and his wife's earnings. Men control the family earnings, and while they often have two to four mouths to feed, men in these communities drink away 60-70% of his earnings. The rest purchases desert vegetables and other cheap staples which have little nutritional value. Domestic abuse is very common.





I met several women who are forming female self-help groups in an attempt to prevent alcohol from being illegally sold in these communities (policemen are bribed so that alcohol can be sold illegally at night). These women's groups meet weekly to discuss issues like this one and develop plans of action.





It's so hard for me to think about these issues when I spend time with the children who go to these NGO-sponsored creches (small, one-room school houses)...they are just so eager to learn and practice English, recite poetry (by the way, what ever happened to poetic recitation as an art form?), sing songs, count, and play with my camera. The girls and women are breathtakingly beautiful. Two best friends, around age 8 or so, found the fact that I was sweating profusely very amusing...it was pretty hysterical: they kept immitating me panting, I would smile, and they would shrink away to giggle for a few minutes. I think my shitty Hindi also cracked them up (they learn both Hindi and English in school because their local tongue is Marwari.) Silliness seems to be much appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Shitty Hindi? doesn't matter because your spirit and appreciation of their culture shines through. And remember laughter is universal.

    sitting here with Mary. We almost went to DC for healthcare rally. Too complicated to explain.

    sending you light and love
    Mata-ji

    ReplyDelete
  2. DANI! I am enjoying your blog!

    I am glad you are enjoying your cultural sojourn to my motherland!

    love you,

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dani, I continue to love to read your wonderful, visually descriptive journal of your journey. I feel like I am there with you except I am sitting in our air conditioned house and not the heat that you are experiencing. I'm sure you are getting used to it if you can. Can't wait to see you in person and hear more of your adventure. Love, Uncle Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dani,

    I came across this poem and thought of you. I love you. Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. PS Saw John Legand and India Arie last night at the Mann. Very hot and sexy. Love, Aunt Linda.

    "Some days, although we cannot pray, a prayer utters itself. So, a women will lift her head from the sieve of her hands and stare at the minims sung by a tree, a sudden gift.
    Carol Ann Duffy, from "Prayer"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving us such nice information about the Jodhpur field walk. If you are travelling in Rajasthan and looking for the taxi service then you can hire a Cab Hire In Jodhpur from the My India Cab Service. They have the AC and Non-AC premium cab service for the destination places of Rajasthan.

    ReplyDelete